Haleakala History

  • At 400 A.D. First Polynesians arrive from Marquesas Islands
  • At 900 A.D. Earliest recorded Hawaiian habitation on Haleakala
  • At 1200 A.D. Polynesians from Tahiti arrive in Hawaii
  • 1778 Captain James Cook lands in Hawaii
  • 1820 First missionaries arrive in the islands
  • 1828 First recorded ascent of Haleakala by non-Hawaiians
  • 1916 Haleakala established as part of Hawaii National Park
  • 1935 First permanent ranger stationed at Haleakala
  • 1936 Haleakala Visitors Center built, Road to Summit – built by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and Work Project Administration (WPA) is dedicated
  • 1937 CCC completes construction of Kapalaoa, Holua, and Paliko cabins
  • 1959 Hawaii becomes 50th state
  • 1961 Haleakala becomes a separate National Park, Park Headquarters building completed
  • 1962 Summit building completed
  • 1969 Kipahulu costal area added to Haleakala National Park
  • 1976 Park obtains Wilderness designated for 19,270 acres, construction of boundary fence for goat control begins
  • 1980 Park is designated as an International Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO
  • 1988 Crater District boundary fence completed
  • 1993 Roughly one million visitors to Summit area. Roughly 500,000 visitors to Kipahulu area